It’s 3am and I’m sitting here with a blank blog post open in WordPress, trying to figure out the right words to basically announce to the world, “Hey we’ve got something brand new going on over here!” But the right words just aren’t coming.
I wish I could be eloquent, but instead I’m just going to be honest. 2016 was a year of big change for me. Most of the changes were in my own mindset. I started out the year breaking ties with people and companies who weren’t lifting me up and ended it in an entirely new place, one I’m pretty happy with actually. You could probably just say 2016 is the year I decided to stop giving a shit in a more official manner and really started trying to live the things I taught myself.
I’m happy to say I got a lot of toxic things out and when it finally came down to figuring out what the future was going to look like, it looked pretty bleak for Photography Awesomesauce. I lost my love of this place completely. It grew to a ‘many headed beast’ as they call the Nerdist website. Too many heads, too many voices, too much work, a lot to manage and not a lot of benefits going around except I was paying some really expensive hosting fees to keep it open. Instead of just shutting the doors, which I had been itching to do for years, I decided not to just give it another chance, but to make it something I like.
So here’s what’s changing…
As Lisa Nichols says, “I woke up this morning and I liked me. So your like is extra.” This is the motto for Photography Awesomesauce’s vibe. If you know anything about me, it is the amount of “sameness” being promoted in the photography industry, gets under my skin. There is so much education out there that says there is one way to run your business, one way to edit, one way to pose, one way to do anything. Everything starts to blur together and it makes me wonder about the rest of us who don’t fit in with the sameness going around. So I decided Photography Awesomesauce is going to be the place for the unconventional wedding photography education. A place where if you like what you’re doing and it’s working for you, you’re home. A place where newbies will always be not only welcomed, but protected. A place where we can (and should) swear. This is the place where people dance to their own fucking beat when it comes to business, and it’s celebrated.
If I’m completely honest with myself, it’s that I really noticed in 2016 how not only does my wedding photography business market to offbeat clients, but I run it in a pretty offbeat way too. And according to the success of the last 31 days with the 31 Days to Better Wedding Photography daily periscopes, you guys like the way I dance to my own fucking beat in business too. It seems to resonate, and that’s the vibe. I’m only one person though, so I can only blog and educate about what works best for me. If you like it, awesome. If you don’t, that’s okay because Iike it.
Photography Awesomesauce’s new vibe is about you. If you wake up in the morning and you’re happy with your business, and your photography, then everyone else’s like is just extra.
I’m just going to list these in bullet points for the sake of making it easy. I’m not sure any of these particular changes need any explanation other than I’m doing them because it makes me happy. Remember that whole bit about you liking anything being extra? Because I like me? That applies here.
- Bye critique Facebook group!
- Bye social media sharing Facebook group!
- New rules for our one (and only) Facebook group!
- Blogging team is dissolved in its previous incarnation, but any of the bloggers, and now readers can submit posts whenever!
- Weekly Facebook live events in the group most likely! Didn’t realize my crazy home life live on camera was so appealing until we did this past month’s periscopes! Now you can enjoy my phone falling over, me fixing my hair all the time, the dogs stealing my unicorn slippers, and me accepting UPS packages on a weekly basis. Just try to contain your excitement! Although the people watching all those shenanigans on Periscope in December gave me some raving reviews.
- More fun on Instagram, because it was dying and we don’t want Instagram to die. So instead I will share only photos of my dogs. Just kidding, I’ll try to be useful.
Products & Services
I’m just going to continue this whole bullet point thing. It’s working for me, and it’s now 3:20 am, so I’m feeling pretty productive.
- There’s an image use agreement template in the shop now! What?! You guys asked for it so I put it together for you.
- Wedding contract is still there!
- You can download 101 blog post ideas if you subscribe to the weekly educational GOLD I’ll be sending out in 2017. GOLD I tell you. GOLD. (I’m setting myself some high expectations live on the internet when I say that).
- You can come to the $99 workshop if you’re one of the handful of people that can get a ticket soon enough and come to Denver to learn in person. I have a pretty small space for the workshop. It cannot accommodate huge groups (that’s why the first ticket buyers will be coming and the procrastinators don’t win). It can accommodate swear words and a shitload of authenticity though – and that’s my teaching style.
- Online courses will be released monthly on helpful topics like, income taxes, marketing, and maybe even a gigantic wedding photography online course with all the things.
- Blog posts, so many blog posts. I project approximately 104 educational blog posts over the course of 2017.
- This bullet is for the things that I’ll come up with during 2017 that I don’t know yet. Let’s just sum it up with I’ll make things, and you will pay me sometimes. Lots of free stuff is on the plan too!
So that’s about it, or as much as I can get out now that my brain is fried. I’m sleeping in tomorrow.
One last thing though…if you need a re-brand or new website this year. Rachael Earl is the designer for you. She did the new PA logo, and has designed and created all 3 of my other business’ websites and brands. If you’re looking for a designer this year >go here to hire her.< If you’re not looking for a new designer, at least do me a solid and go follower her on Instagram and Facebook so she starts out the year with a little extra love for all the things she’s done for me!
See you on Tuesday this week with some awesome new blog content! Hmmm…maybe that’s the day I should do a Facebook Live too…