1. Big challenges create the best work.
2. Hire an accountant.
3. Practice all the time.
4. Trust your instincts.
5. Know your stuff. If you don’t know your equipment as well as you know the back of your hand take the time to learn everything about it.
6. Simple photos are good.
7. Make mistakes. Learn from them.
8. Finding clients isn’t as hard as waiting for them to find you.
9. You can’t specialize in every type of photography.
10. Learn and be comfortable with saying no. You can’t let people walk all over you.
11. Listen to critique, but know you don’t have to apply it.
12. You can be self-taught, but it takes practice and hard work.
13. Focus on the eyes, literally and figuratively.
14. Portrait photography is about people, not about photography.
15. Build relationships. With your clients, with their families, and with other professionals.
16. If you’re all about the money, you’re in the wrong biz.
17. Don’t be shy about your art, share it!
18. Real artists create.
19. Don’t compare your photography journey with someone else’s.
20. Style depends on your own sense of what is beautiful. No one can tell you what is beautiful, only you can decide.
21. Photography is timeless. It’s meant to last through the ages. Great photography isn’t about the latest fads or the hippest trends.
22. Yes, you do have to pay taxes. Even if all the money you make is re-invested in business expenses.
23. Appreciate the process of creating a final photograph, even the parts you may no like.
24. If you’re overwhelmed, learn to trust and delegate.
25. Plan for rainy days. They will happen.
26. Create a business plan.
27. Being a photographer is not going to be easy.
28. ‘Value’ is different from ‘price.’
29. Photography really is all about recording light.
30. Evaluate things that aren’t working and be open to change.
31. Having the fanciest camera doesn’t mean you will make the best images. The person behind the lens creates the images regardless of the tool.
32. Leave time for friends, family and your other loves.
33. Being a photographer also means being an accountant, tax guru, business owner, employer, sales person, people person, blogger, IT person and so many other titles. Accept the fact that you won’t be good at all of them.
34. Create a portfolio.
35. Figure out what licenses you need to be legit.
36. Working with partners is easier said than done.
37. Never say you’re the best. You won’t have anything to work toward.
38. Get sleep.
39. Take time to learn about sales taxes.
40. Create a brand for your company.
41. Failure can lead to success.
42. Do your best to keep good records.
43. Always leave time to dream and brainstorm. Once you have the wheels in motion as a business owner you must leave time to create new ideas.
44. Utilize social media even if you hate it. It’s free marketing.
45. Customer Service is not a department, it’s a way of life.
46. Stay inspired!
47. Always keep learning.
48. Great art takes hard work.
49. Give yourself credit. A lot of people will be out there with the negativity trying to bring you down. Give yourself credit for the things you are proud of.
50. Always remember why you started liking pictures in the first place.