Confidence. Becoming a successful business owner does require some amount of confidence. If you already have good business confidence you probably don’t hesitate to talk to groups, know it’s easy to be you when you talk to your clients, you know what you have to say is important, and you can probably stay relaxed when you’re meeting new clients and trying to get them to book.
It’s great when confidence is one of those natural things for people, but unfortunately it’s not natural for everyone. So how can you develop confidence? It’s easier said than done. Sure, confidence is a key to a successful business, but many of us have to find it before we can have it.
1. Don’t set prices or sell things that you don’t believe in. I find it is so much easier for me to be a sales person and do my in-person product sales of photography items when I truly believe I would purchase what I’m offering.
2. Be comfortable with how you set up your business. What might work for one photographer may not work for everyone’s business set up. There are many different ways you can set up your business to achieve success. If you’re not comfortable with a certain way just because it’s the trend or someone else does it that way then don’t do it. You have to be comfortable with what you’re doing so you can be confident with it.
3. Practice! Yes, it’s a bit silly, but you have to practice talking about your products. Chat up your family and tell them about your new business and why you are offering things the way that you are. That’s practicing. Practice in your room when no one is home, or in front of a mirror. The more you talk about what you do and why the more confident you will become with it.
4. Confident people go through life taking any opportunities that are thrown their direction. The outcome of seizing these opportunities makes them generally more happy people.
5. Confidence shouldn’t be based in the skills you have or how professionally you dress. It’s about the truth of who you really are and being comfortable being yourself. First you need to accept that not everyone is going to think the same way as you, always agree with you, and think the same way. Make choices in life based on your morals and integrity and not based on what others think. By learning to make these choices despite what others think you are developing your own authentic confidence.